Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Portrait of an actor (dissolving in my surroundings)

I remember the nervousness right before I got on stage. Time after time I am repeating every single line I have to say, like I don't already know them by heart. I am aware of my surroundings; every laugh and cough from the audience, to my fellow actors straightening their clothes. Everything distracts me. Then I hear my cue. I get on stage and it is like I just step in my own room, ready to practise my part for the millionth time. The audience is not there anymore, my own anxiety fades away. It is like I dissolve in my surroundings. I am not this seperate self-conscious person anymore, but part of the bigger picture. I don't feel pressure to perform for my surroundings and my surroundings not for me. We are equal. I do what I have to do. After that I get off stage.