When someone dies, that person keeps living in the memories of others. However, the body, the true evidence that someone lived, will decay over time. It will be buried or burned. I want to immortalize myself on this world, to prove that I really existed. By making a replica of my whole body and categorize it, I will turn the perishableness of my body around. This "mask" is meant for myself in the first place. I make and devide it how I want. It is objective, not emotional. The body is not yet dead, but reproduced when full of life, without any signs of decay. My family and friends can decide for themselves if they are attached to some parts of my body and take a piece with them.






 |
Death mask When an important person died, there used to be made a replica from his face: a death mask. By keeping the face of the deceased in this world it was believed that his qualities also stayed with it.
Mourning In the past, objects that were made when someone died were especially meant for the deceased; to give with him in his grave, to let his spirit move on, or even to chase the spirit away. These days the passing away of a person is more about the people left behind. The objects that are made, provide comfort and try to keep the spirit of the deceased with them as long as possible. I want to make death again about the person that is about to pass away. What are his or her desires? |